Friday, May 24, 2013

Myth-In-Law SciFiFanSat Post




What?  You mean its Saturday again?  Man, a week goes by fast but for us here in the states, we have an extra-long weekend while we celebrate Memorial Day AND we get a fresh new batch of some great Science Fiction and Fantasy snippets courtesy of the fantastic authors over at SciFiFanSat.blogspot.com .  Does it really get any better than this?  This week, finally, I’m bringing my current scene from my WIP, Myth-In-Law, to a close as Professor Livingwood finishes up his game of road chicken with a mysterious on-coming black semi.  For those of you who have enjoyed this section – thanks again for all the comments.  They really mean a lot throughout the writing process.  I think I’ll be giving this story a rest for a while here but I’ll try to be back next week with something fresh.  Thanks again and I hope you enjoy and don’t forget to check out all the great writing going on over at the main blog.  Twitter tag - #SFFSAT.         

          Maybe it was the stress, probably some type of pre-death anxiety that warped his perceptions of reality.  The Prof wasn’t sure but he watched the semi’s cab touch the front of his RV and instead of the eruption of metal on metal, mass times force and the like, the rolling black monolith melded into the front of his vehicle. 
          Time slowed and the RV floated above the heated asphalt on a cloud of air, oblivious to its damaged wheel as the vehicles intertwined, the two windshields melting together.  Open jawed; the Prof stared at the other driver, his black trench coat flapped in the imaginary breeze as gloved hands clenched a giant steering wheel.  A black top hat rested on the man’s head, his face swathed in shadows as he turned to face the professor.  His voice filled the combined cabins, coming from everywhere and yet nowhere, a hollow whisper filled with pain.
          “I’m getting stronger old man.”
          The Professor forced his voice to sound calmer than he felt and asked, “Where’s Sam?”
          “Too late….”  The ghost voice trailed off as time caught up to itself and the rest of the tractor trailer sped through the RV in a disorienting flash. 

18 comments:

  1. Interesting perspective, watching the two vehicles mash together. No question. This 'black-coated driver' is a menace to road safety. If I was the Prof, I'd call 911! Fast!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, let them know about the ghost tractor trailer and driver and get the Prof thrown in the drunk tank. I guess he could call AAA.

      Delete
  2. whoa! Not at all what I expected. You can just imagine that total grip on detail as perception slows and he has the time to really absorb, split-second by split-second, this strange reality. Wonder, horror, disbelief all in slo-mo. Well done.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks. This scene was a lot of fun. I did a few edits to fit SFFSAT and lost a little rhythm but I'm happy with it. Glad it took a surprising turn.

      Delete
  3. Creeeeeeepy! And well done. I like the time-dilation bit too. It keeps pace with the writing, so I don't feel like an awful lot happened in such a short time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Laurel! The Prof had a rough day and its no where close to over. Glad you liked it.

      Delete
  4. Whoa, I did like a really creepy Beavis and/or Butt-head laugh when I finished this snippet. Really well written. Totally weird. I loved it. That ghost voice black trench coat wearin' guy freaks me out. I love when characters do that. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Heh heh heh heh heh. And if I can freak out just one reader then its been a good day. Thanks, J.M. The man in black is just getting warmed up. Appreciate the read.

      Delete
  5. Well that was mildly creep-i-fying. It's like the back-story for a really disturbing urban legend.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. And that's cool that you mentioned urban legend since the story revolves around legend and folklore. Glad you liked it. Thanks.

      Delete
  6. How creepy! I got goosebumps reading it. Very well done!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ha. I've creeped out two people. Make it an extra good day. It took a while to develop, like over a month, but I enjoy these snippet exercises to pack it when you can and toss what's unneeded. Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh, so glad the Prof survives!

    But the ghost semi is somewhat disturbing. I wonder what this has to do with Sam's book...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It all plays together in the coming chapters. Sam and grandpa's adventures are just warming up, if only the two could find one another. Hmmmm.

      Delete
  9. I like the way you've controlled the pace of this scene. Absolutely brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks JC! I wanted to add some creepiness to the story and keep the turns unexpected and this seemed to entertain. Appreciate the comments!!

    ReplyDelete