Friday, September 20, 2013

Stein Snippet #2



Here we go on another Science Fiction Fantasy weekend go round.  I’m back into the swing after taking a few weeks off and last week I decided to start a new story (is this like writer therapy? – share with the group).  This one is still untitled but it’s moving along nicely.  I think.  I’ve toyed around with some zombie adventures before but I figured this was a great venue to spread my un-dead wings and see where it takes me.  We pick up directly from last week and Annie’s on the run from a hungry zombie mob.  Let’s see where her decisions take her.  Arrgghhh…urrggg (that was zombie speak – like pig latin but without the finesse).   Enjoy and don’t forget to click over to SciFiFanSat.blogspot.com and check out all the other writing goodness happening there.
__________________________________________
          She darted to the left, between two old warehouses, and then a quick right into what she hoped was a service entrance leading back out to the main road.  Instead, she found herself trapped in a delivery bay designed for big rigs to back their cargo up to a large bay door.  She pulled up on the latch, which held fast.

          “Great.”

          The guttural roars echoing behind her told her the pack had turned the same corners she had and would be filtering into the cargo bay any minute.  Frantically, she searched for another access door, a fire ladder leading up the roof.  Nothing.

          She leaned against a wall, trying to catch her breath, and spotted a rotted metal garbage dumpster against the far side of the alley.  Annie figured it was her best shot, provide some protection, maybe mask her scent.  That and it was her only available option.

          Short, sweet, and directly into a dead end.  Dum dum dum.  Hope you enjoyed.  Please leave a comment or two.  They are always appreciated.  You can even use zombie-speak, I just can’t promise to know how to respond.  It’s a very tricky dialect and they’re such a sensitive lot.

10 comments:

  1. Oh, gross! Not the dumpster!! Of course, I'd probably do the same if it were a life and death situation. Keep it coming!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T. I'm having fun with it. You can't expect me to make it easy on her.

      Delete
  2. Eeew... But I guess it's a choice between grossness and (un)death.

    So what happens next? *drums fingers on laptop impatiently*

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Ha. garbage does gain some appeal when its a last choice. Guess you'll have to wait another week for more action. I have a surprise or two coming up.

      Delete
  3. I suppose hiding in a fetid dumpster is preferable to being munched on by a gaggle of ravenous, undead meat puppets. As for where to go next, may I suggest the Lucas/Spielberg technique for getting oneself out of a painted corner? Run real fast and hope nobody notices the footprints!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I like it. I should have had her holding a glass of water with dramatic trembles.

      Delete
  4. Wow, palpable! I could picture the scene in my mind, and I was wondering how long she would be able to hang onto the door when the meat puppets come.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks K! Meat puppets seem to be a consistent term - maybe that should be my running title. Always appreciate the comments.

      Delete
  5. Lucky I don't have much of a sense of smell. By the way, the contents of the dumpster would be rotted, but wouldn't the dumpster itself be rusted? A rotted dumpster sounds like it could be puled apart by the zombies.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Sue, now I have to come up with another idea for the zombie hordes. You're right though, rusted is more accurate. Thanks.

      Delete