Friday, April 18, 2014

Stein #16 - Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday


Wow, I blinked and like three weeks went by.  I’ve missed out on the last few Saturdays but here I am just in time to offer up my own Sci-fi Fantasy Easter Eggs in time for the pending holiday.  Make sure you take a moment and check out all the goodies in the SciFiFanSat.blogspot.com reading basket.  Always brimming with excellent writing snippets!  This week, I’m back with STEIN, one of my current WIP’s.  Chased by hungry zombies, Annie is saved by a mysterious stranger, who seems to have more than a few secrets of his own.  On their way back to Annie’s friends, holed up in a garage nearby, STEIN is mistakenly gunned down by one of Annie’s fellow survivors.  And…we pick up from there.  Enjoy!
______________________________________________
          Annie leaned in closer to the large hole in her new friend’s chest.
          “There’s hardly any blood and he shot you right below your heart.”
          Stein pulled the rags wrapped around his chest tighter to cover his wound and pulled himself up to his knees.
          “I’ve shed my share of blood.”  He looked up at Annie’s friend and asked, “Care to point that somewhere else?”
          Brody jerked the barrel of his rifle away and reached down to help his accidental victim up from the pavement.
          “Man, I am so sorry but I thought you were part of the meat patrol the way you’re dressed and…well, look.”
          “I get that a lot.”  Stein looked at Annie and asked, “Are we still going to your base?”
          “You’re bringing him back to the garage?”  Brody grabbed Annie by the shoulder.
          Annie reached down and took Stein by the hand, leading him across the street.
          “He saved my life, okay, so I told him he could come back with us.”
          Brody slung his rifle over his shoulder.  “Oh yeah, he should fit right in.”
______________________________________________
Wondering how Stein fits into a group atmosphere?  Yeah, that’s what I’m thinking too.  Thanks for reading and please drop a comment or two in the hat before you go.  They’re always appreciated.  Have a great Easter and see you in seven!!

9 comments:

  1. The last line made me laugh - I'm enjoying how this works out.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Peter. The humor and horror mix is a lot of fun. They go together surprising well.

      Delete
  2. I thought I'd missed a bunch of these, having been gone myself for a while, but looks like it picked up almost right after the last one I remember reading. Great stuff, and looking forward to reading the rest of this.

    Hope this one is nearing completion so I can pick up the whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, T.M. - I've grown more fond of this story the more I got into the writing process with it. I need to finish up a few other projects but this is on my short list to complete. Appreciate the read.

      Delete
  3. I always enjoy a good banter between characters. STEIN seem to have it in spades. Really looking forward to more of this one!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. His attitude kind of developed on its own - and growed! He's a fun character to write - lotsa layers!

      Delete
  4. Bringing him back to the rest of the group? This should be interesting. When is the book coming out?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wow - maybe I should bump it up on the list OR take a couple months off to finish everything I'd like to - okay maybe three months! Thanks, Patrick!

      Delete
  5. People fear what's different and have a hard time getting past a visual, no matter the facts; Annie had an uphill battle ahead of her, but I think she realizes it's worth it. He's worth it.

    Very interesting development! Looking forward to seeing what comes next.

    ReplyDelete