Friday, March 15, 2013

Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday - Myth-In-Law




It’s another Science Fiction Fantasy Saturday!  Here’s hoping your weekend is full of reading (and writing) goodness.  My contribution for this week is staying with one of my WIP’s, Myth-In-Law.  If you haven’t had a chance, please take a look at the earlier entries from this same work.  In this snippet, Sam finally figured out the secret to opening the mysterious book given to him by an equally mysterious stranger but before the big reveal happens, he gets another surprise visitor.  Hope you enjoy.  Please make sure you go over to SciFiFanSat.blogspot.com and check out all the fabulous writers and their awesomnastic (that’s a word right?) writing snippets.  As always, along the way, if you could spare a few comments for myself and the other paupers of print, they go a long way!  Thanks!   

          “I can’t believe you’re doing homework on your birthday.  Why don’t you take a break and come down to the kitchen with me?”
          Sam’s mom peeked around the corner into the library as he slid the book back into the school bag at his feet. 
         “I’m just doing a little research for a project.  What’s downstairs?”
          “I’ve got a surprise for you.”
          Sam kicked the bag farther under the desk and mumbled, “As long as it’s not a talking dirt devil.”
          His mom was halfway down the hall.  “By the way, would you know anything about the giant hole in my kitchen ceiling?”
          “No idea.”

18 comments:

  1. Very fun banter. Sam's a great character. I'm sure he's as much fun to write as he is to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Carey. I've been having a lot of fun with it and as the situations escalate, it'll be fun to see how Sam handles them.

      Delete
  2. I don't know. A talking dirt devil might make for an interesting companion. Nice dialogue!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Alone in his Living Room?! Sam and his talking sweeper? Has a familiar ring to it, Patrick.

      Delete
  3. Definitely fun banter! And like every kid, feigns ignorance to avoid suspicion. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks T.K.! Sam is just a typical kid in an untypical situation. Glad your enjoying it.

      Delete
  4. Hole in the kitchen ceiling? What's he been up to?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sue, He accidentally put a hole in the ceiling trying to open the book in one of the previous snippets. Kids!

      Delete
  5. Ha! I forgot about the hole! I wonder if he mom believes him.

    Great snippet. I really am starting to love this story. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks, Ann! It's not easy to pull one over on her but lucky for Sam, she gives him a lot of slack. Glad your enjoying it!

      Delete
  6. I'm with TM--great banter. The hole in the ceiling is hilarious. Fun snippet.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This had been a fun story from the start, which I'm glad is carrying thru. Thanks J.M. Always appreciate your comments.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Muy divertado! (Wish I had an upside down exclamation point thingy on my keyboard, but oh well...)

    Good snippet... love how it expands our knowledge of Sam's personality.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks! Ha! I think next week we need to check in on grandpa to see how he's making out but I'm glad Sam's character is coming thru in the snippets!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Haha. Funny. And a mom who is actuallly asking him WHY he's doing homework? I think those kinds of moms are rare. lol. Nice snippet!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks. They have a strong relationship with a mutual respect but he's still a teenager and homework isn't a favorite. Thanks for the comments. Glad you enjoyed it.

    ReplyDelete